While doing an update of the AVG Antivirus Free Edition to version 9.0, I got an unexpected registry error:
Local machine: installation failed
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key….
Googling the problem offered me lots complex solutions with varying results, however I found a very easy solution on how to fix the issue:
- Download the AVG Remover tool for either 32 bit Windows or 64 bit Windows
- Run the AVG Remover tool to uninstall the current version of AVG, it will require restart.
- Download the Dial-a-Fix tool.
- Run the Dial-a-Fix tool and hit the button with the hammer icon (see screenshot below).
- In the dialog locate and select Repair Permissions in list and hit the GO button (see screenshot below).
- Let the tool do its magic.
- Download the new version of AVG – AVG Download Manager or Full Installation Package (100+Mb)
- Run installation of AVG, it should complete with success.