All windows users will eventually meet with the following Windows error messages, when trying to delete, move or rename a file or folders:
- Cannot delete folder: It is being used by another person or program.
- Cannot delete file: Access is denied
- There has been a sharing violation.
- The source or destination file may be in use.
- The file is in use by another program or user.
- Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
In many cases it is not obvious what process actually locks the file or folder, but there are small extensions for Microsoft Explorer that can help locate it. These tools permits you to list all the processes locking the selected file, and unlocking the file or folder and killing the process.
Unlocker displays the list of all processes locking a file, access by right-clicking the file and choosing the Unlocker menu item. (The preferred tool)
Who Lock Me
A similar tool to Unlocker.
Opened Files View
Opened Files View displays the list of all opened files on your system.